Article

Friday, April 04, 2025
search-icon

North Mutlaa adventure stalls over legal hurdles

The project seeks new oversight

publish time

31/03/2025

publish time

31/03/2025

North Mutlaa adventure stalls over legal hurdles

KUWAIT CITY, March 29: Over the past 10 months, the Municipal Council has approved several major development projects -- all of which fall within the New Kuwait 2035 Vision. These projects include the Jahra Corniche, the development of Sulaibikhat Bay, the expansion of Mubarak Port, and the Cultural and Entertainment Center along Abdullah Al-Ahmad Street. The Kuwait Municipality is currently working on most of these projects. On the other hand, the desert adventure project in North Mutlaa (the third regional zone) remains suspended; particularly after State Minister for Municipality Affairs Abdullatif Al-Mishari objected to the second clause of the decision of the council to allocate it to the Projects Sector in the Municipality. The council issued this decision during its session on Oct 14, 2024. The objection is based on the violation of the Municipality’s mandate under Law No. 33/2016 on its establishment. The mandate does not include the establishment of sites designated for tourism, recreational activities, and investment. In turn, the council, in its session on Nov 11, 2024, approved the objection of Al-Mishari; citing the lack of jurisdiction of the Municipality. This put the project in a gray area of suspension.

Meanwhile, sources from the Municipality told the newspaper that work is underway to redirect the project to the State entities responsible for developing tourism and entertainment in the country so that it can be implemented. Sources explained “This is particularly true since the council previously approved amending the size of the project to nine million square meters, instead of 13 million square meters. Therefore, the project’s completion is contingent upon its transfer to a competent authority other than the Municipality; so that it can be offered for private sector investment.” Sources indicated that the project is the first of its kind in the country and is one of the projects in the third regional zone. Its site boundaries have been modified to move one kilometer away from Sabah Al-Ahmad Nature Reserve to the East, from the regional road to the North, and the Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) facilities to the West.

Sources affirmed that the project provides opportunities to accommodate active recreational uses and less intensive activities (including camping); as per the structural plan for the third regional zone in North Mutlaa, which was approved by the council through a resolution issued on June 24, 2013. Sources added the project consists of 25 percent active recreational spots like kiosks for craft workshops and small businesses, a global village, an indoor theater, kart tracks, various sports fields, desert arts competition areas, restaurants, cafés, a conference center, hotels, Mutlaa Theater (for events and performances), and an adventure entertainment city. Sources revealed that 50 percent of the total project area has been allocated for quiet and peaceful recreational uses; such as a heritage district, modern art museums, Sadu House, painting and pottery studios, a library for reading and lectures, camping and chalet areas, sand dune skiing areas, a space dome, an exhibition area and lecture halls. Sources said the remaining 25 percent has been allocated as well; indicating the total area of the project will be allotted for the main transportation infrastructure, afforestation and recreational resorts that are suitable for the desert environment. Sources confirmed the importance of the project which, if completed according to the prepared study, will leave a mark on the entertainment and tourism map in the country. They said the Municipality will most likely play a supervisory role once the project is completed, through the authority designated by the government; particularly concerning areas designated for camping, kiosks and shops for small businesses.

By Inaas Awadh
Al-Seyassah/Arab Times Staff